The temples are undoubtedly the foremost tourist attractions in Kanchipuram.The Kamakshi Amman Temple, one of the rare temples where Shakti is worshipped. The golden Chariot in the temple is significant as it is taken in a procession around the temple on Fridays. The temple also has an art gallery which displays the history of Sri Adi Shankaracharya and the Shankara Mutt. The Kailashanathar Temple built in the 8th century is dedicated to Shiva and is the oldest structure in Kanchipuram. Its exquisite architectural work makes it one of the finest examples of Pallava architecture. The Ekambareshwar Temple is one of the largest temples in Kanchipuram with numerous shrines, mandapams, gopurams and tanks. Other famous temples are the Kumara Kottam Temple and the Varadaraja Temple and the Ullahalanda Temple.
Places to See in Kanchipuram
- Anna Memorial- It is the ancestral house of Dr. C. N. Annadurai who was one of the scholars of Tamil Nadu.
- Crocodile Bank- It is the center of crocodile breeding and has got around 5000 crocodiles belonging to 6 varied species.
- Ekambaranatha Temple- This is one of the Shiva temples in the city.
- Ekambareshwarar Temple- Located towards the north western side of Kanchipuram this is the largest and highest temple there which belongs to the Pallava era.
- Kamakshi Amman Temple- This temple is devoted to Goddess Kamakshi Amman.
- Kanchi Kudil- It is a small ancient house that reflects the ancient culture of Hinduism in Tamil Nadu.
- Kailasnatha Temple- As evident from the name this temple is dedicated to God Shiva.
- Muttukkadu Lake- This large lake is formed of backwaters where one can enjoy wind surfing as well as boating.
- Sadras Beach- This sea beach is located at a distance of about 16 km from the place Mamallapuram which is a major beach resort.
- Sriperumpudur- Situated at approximately 29 km distance from the city of Chennai and is Saint Ramanujar's birth place and thus an important Vaishnava pilgrim centre.
- Vaikunta Perumal Temple- This is among the ancient temples which has got 3 tiered Gopuram cum Sannathi.
- Varadharaja Perumal Temple- It is a temple that is based on the Vaishnava culture.
- Vedantangal Bird Sanctuary- This place being among the famous sanctuaries of water birds in India is home to a wide variety of birds.
- Apart from the above mentioned places Kanchipuram has got numerous temples that can be divided into the two major heads- Shiva Temples and Vaishnava Temples
Last Updated on : 26/09/2013