Uttapam is a very famous South Indian dish and is made from fermented batter of urad dal and rice. It is a standard dish served in almost all South Indian restaurants across India and the world. Just like a pizza, a lot of combinations of vegetables can be added as a topping to make your favorite Uttapam. Here I added tomatoes and onion as the topping to make Masala Uttapam. It uses the same batter as the dosa, however Uttapam is thick, more like a pancake and not as crisp as a dosa. It has its own unique taste as the toppings are added while it is being cooked. Masala Uttapam is a great breakfast option, however, you can also choose to have it any time of the day including the main meals. It is best to have Uttapam with some nice coconut or tomato chutney or sambhar. I am sure your kids would love the nice taste of Uttapam and so will the whole family. So why not choose this as your next family breakfast option? Use this simple to follow recipe to make delicious Masala Uttapam.
Ingredients Needed for Masala Uttapam
- Dosa batter – 1 cup
- Onions – 1/2 cup (chopped)
- Tomatoes – 1/2 cup (chopped)
- Green Chili – 1 (chopped)
- Salt to taste
- Chaat masala – 1/2 tsp
How to make Masala Uttapam
- Heat a non stick pan.
- When the pan is hot, pour a ladle full of batter on it and spread to make a small circle.
- Sprinkle some onions, tomatoes and green chili on top.
- Press with the back of a ladle.
- Pour oil on the sides and on top.
- Fry till brown and crispy.
- Flip and cook from other side as well.
- Sprinkle salt and chaat masala on top.
- Serve hot.