Idli Sambhar Recipe
When I was visiting South India a couple of decades back with my college friends, I had the perfect advice from my mother and I follow it till date. Like any mother, she too was concerned about what I would eat and specially how I would start my long days. The concern was absolutely genuine as the street food may not be clean and healthy. She asked me to start the hot days of South Indian summer with a nice and hot plate of Idli Sambhar from any of the numerous Darshini restaurants. Idli, being cooked in boiling water, is clean, and it was the perfectly healthy breakfast to start the day. I just fell in love with this yummy breakfast option and to date have it at least a couple of times a week, though now I make this at home. I’ll share this recipe so you too can have a perfect start to your days with Idli Sambhar.
Ingredients needed for Idli Sambhar
- Idli rice – 2 cups
- Urd dal – 1/2 cup
- Poha – 1/4 cup
- Salt to taste
- Arhar ki dal – 1/2 cup
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves – 10-12
- Onion – 1 cup (chopped)
- Tomato – 1 cup (chopped)
- Sambhar masala – 2 tbsp
- Brinjal – 1 (chopped)
- Tamarind pulp – 2 tbsp
How to make Idli Sambhar
- Wash and soak rice poha and urd dal separately for 4-5 hours.
- Drain and blend in a blender together with salt and poha till smooth.
- Transfer the batter in a big vessel and cover and keep to ferment for 6-8 hours.
- Grease the idli molds and pour the batter in each mold.
- Steam the idlies for 15-20 minutes, till done.
- Wash the dal.
- Add it in a pressure cooker with salt and turmeric powder.
- Cook till done.
- Add oil in a pan.
- When the oil is hot, add mustard seeds and curry leaves.
- Add onion and fry for 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, brinjal, and sambhar masala.
- Add half a cup of water and cook till brinjal is soft.
- Add the cooked dal and tamarind pulp.
- Cook for another 4-5 minutes.
- Serve hot with idlies.