Headquarters: Udhampur, Jammu and Kashmir
The Northern Command of Indian Army is one of the oldest commands as it was originally formed in 1895 during the time of British rule. It was reformed as North Western Army in 1942 in order to guard the North West frontier. During that time the areas including Kohat, Baluchistan, Peshawar, Waziristan, and Rawalpindi districts were under the control of the Northern Command (which was known as the North Western Army). In 1947 the headquarter of Northern Command became the headquarters of the Pakistani Army. The Northern Command was scrapped later in 1947 upon India’s independence. But, when the Government of India decided to raise a separate command for overseeing operations in the northern borders, the command was later reformed in 1972. At that time, the headquarters for the command was established at Udhampur in Jammu and Kashmir. Currently, Lieutenant General Ranbir Singh is the Commanding-in-Chief of the Northern Command.
Subordinate units of the Western Command are –
- XIV Corps – Leh
- XV Corps – Srinagar
- XVI Corps – Nagrota