Situated in the Jamnagar district of Gujarat, Dwarka is a popular religious destination in India. The city is regarded as one of the seven oldest cities in India. The city has long-standing associations with Lord Krishna and it is believed that the place was the abode of the famous Hindu deity.
Mythologies state that the city went underwater on six occasions and as a result of this, the contemporary Dwarka is the seventh city to be constructed in the territory. The Janmashtami festival is celebrated in this place with a lot of pride, enthusiasm, and distinctiveness.
Travel to Dwarka
Dwarka is famous for the following tourist destinations:
- Shree Swaminarayan Temple
- Nageshwar Temple - It is a renowned place of worship for Lord Shiva and is also one of the 12 Jyotirlingas. The distance is approximately 8 km.
- Brahma Kund
- Rukmini Hrid - Rukmini Hrid is an accumulation of seven small lakes.
- Bet Dwarka - It is a tiny islet close to Dwarka.
- Dwaraka Pitha
- Somnath Temple - It is a legendary place of worship for Lord Shiva
- Dwarkadhish Temple - It is a famous Pushti Marg Temple.
- Gopi Talav - It is the area where Lord Krishna played with the Gopikas.
- Hanuman Mandir - It lies in Bet Dwarka and it is believed that Hanuman engaged into a battle with Makaradhwaja in this place.
- Sandhya Aarati
How to reach Dwarka
Jamnagar and Dwarka are well connected through railways and the distance between two places is 132 km. Train services are available to Mumbai, Ahmedabad, and Rajkot. Distances from these cities are 945 km, 457 km, and 217 km respectively.
Dwarka is situated on the meter gauge railway track, which travels from Viramgam to Okha. By rail, it is 217 km from Rajkot and from Jamnagar, the distance is 137 km.
The closest airport is located at Jamnagar and the distance is approximately 150 km. However, tourists can go to Dwarka from Jamnagar either by train, bus, or car.
A superb state highway joins Dwarka. State Transport Corporation buses ply to all important places in Surat, Ahmedabad, and Dwarka from different areas in Gujarat.
Hotels in Dwarka
The most popular hotels and accommodations in the city are mentioned below:
Near Dwarkadhish Temple
Tel/Fax:  235777, 234700, 234000
Opposite Swaminarayan Mandir
Dwarka - 361 335
Toran Tourist Bungalow
Close to Circuit House
Hospital Road, Dwarka
Near Old Bus Stand, Dwarka
Hotel Dwarka Residency
Near ISKCON Gate, Dwarka
Tel.: 235032/33, 9426208910
Near The Temple
Ravel Talao, Dwarka
Gujarat - 361335
Hotel City Palace
Jawahar Road, Teen Batti Chowk,
Dwarka - 361335
Tel: + 91 - 2892 234312
Last Updated on : 01/09/2013