- Area: 114 sq. km
- Population:1,500,000 (2001)
- Language: Punjabi, Hindi, English
- Religion:Sikhism, Hinduism
- Temperature: -3 to 47.7 degree Celsius
- Average Rainfall: 500 mm
In Amritsar, Winter starts from November and remains till March, during which, the temperatures ranges from 18 °C to about -3 °C. Summer commences from April and remains till June, during which, temperature reaches up to 47.7 °C. Monsoon Starts from July and remains till September, and post-monsoon season is from September to November.
Religious Shrines: Amritsar and its vicinity houses many religious shrines which are major attractions for pilgrims. Some of these places are:
- Harimandir Sahib: Also known as the Golden Temple, is the most significant shrine in Sikhism. It is considered holy because Sri Guru Granth Sahib, the 11th Guru of Sikhs, is believed to be present inside the shrine.
- Akal Takht: It is located in the Golden Temple complex in Amritsar and is the seat of supreme religious clergy of the Sikhs. It was built by Guru Har Gobind, 6th Guru of Sikhs, as a symbol of political sovereignty of Sikhs.
- Tarn Taran Sahib: It is a city situated near Amritsar in Punjab, India. The city has many Gurudwaras, which include, Gurudwara Sri Tarn Taran Sahib, Gurudwara Guru Ka Khuh, and Gurudwara Bibi Bhani Da Khuh.
- Maha Kali Mandir: It is situated at national highway Near Majitha bypass on Jalandhar-Rajashanshi airport road. This Mandir has the temples of Maha Kali, Shri Ram, Maa Durga, Shri Radha Krishan, Sindoori Hanuman, Maa Sarawati, Lakhsmi Narayan , Shiv Parivar. Mandir also has a Great Statue of God Hanuman on the top of Mandir.
- Saragarhi Gurudwara:
- Guru Nanak Dev University
- Govt Polytechnic
- DAV College for Women
- Khalsa College
- DAV College
- Government Medical College
|Amritsar City Information|
|Founded by||Guru Ram Das|
|Population||966862 as Census January 2011|
|Population Density||928 km2 as Census January 2011|
|Language||Punjabi,Hindi,English & Urdu|
|Official Languages||Punjabi,Hindi,English & Urdu|
|Literacy Rate||76.27 as Census January 2011|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Lat Long||31.6400° N, 74.8600° E|
|Festivals||Baisakhi, Basant Panchami at Chheharta Sahib, Guru Purab, Hola Mohalla, Ram Tirath Fair|
|University||Guru Nanak Dev University|
|Sister Cities||Birmingham (UK), London (UK)|
|Sports||Gandhi Sports Complex Ground ,|
|Airport||Sri Guru Ram Das Jee International Airport|
|Railway Station||Amritsar Jn (ASR), Amritsar Railway Station|
|Tourist Attractions||Golden Temple Amritsar, Maharaja Ranjit Singh's Ram Bagh Gardens Amritsar, Wagah Border, Jallianwala Bagh, Ram Tirath, Faridkot Fort|
|Nearby Tourist Attractions||Faridkot Fort, Dharamsala, Mcleodganj, Kasauli, Jammu, Chandigarh|
|Popular Things||Golden Temple, Wagah Border, Tarn Taran Sahib, Punjabi jutti|
|Notable People||Guru Tegh Bahadur, Manmohan Singh, Sam Manekshaw, Madan Lal Dhingra, Krishan Kant, Bhisham Sahni, Hans Raj Khanna, Dara Singh, Rajesh Khanna|
|National Highway||Grand Trunk Road, National Highway 1|
Last Updated on : 28/09/2013