St. Philomena\'s Church


Built in the gothic form of architecture, St. Philomena's Church is one of the largest churches of the continent of Asia. The church stands on the grounds where the older church built by Maharaja Krishnaraja Wodeyar III stood. The new church was constructed in the year 1933 by the grandson of the earlier king, Maharaja Krishnaraja Wodeyar IV. The church retains the heritage that is more than 200 years old.

The need for a church arose when the new settlement of Christian population developed in the city of Mysore in the early 18th century. The then king realized the need for a place of worship for the Christian people and built the older church. The new church is designed by the French architect Daly who laid the church in the shape of a cross. The nave of the cross comprises of the congregation hall while the two arms of the cross form the transepts. The altar and the choir stand on the crossing.

The altar of the St. Philomena's Church in Mysore preserves the relic of the saint obtained from Peter Pisani in the catacomb. The sanctum sanctorum also comprises of the marbled statue of the saint. The cross of Jesus lies beyond the altar. The St. Philomena's Church of Mysore is adorned with stained glass windows that were specially brought from France. The spires of the church rising to a height of 175 feet imitate those of the Cathedral at Cologne in Germany and the St. Patrick's Church of New York. Masses are held regularly in the St. Philomena's Church which is open for the tourists from 8 A.M to 6 P.M.

Last Updated on 08/30/2011