The National Institute for the Visually Handicapped (NIVH) in Dehradun originated as St. Dunstan's hostel for the war-blinded in 1943. The Government of India took over the building on January 1, 1950 and renamed it as the 'Training Center for the Adult Blind' (Men). Later, the activities of the center in the field of Education and Rehabilitation of the Blind became extensive and these were united under the umbrella of the National Center for the Blind in 1967.
1979 was an important year in the growth and development of beneficial services for the blind since the National Center for the Blind was elevated to the status of 'National Institute for the Visually Handicapped'.In 1982 the institute was granted autonomy by the Ministry of Welfare.
- Human Resource Development
- Research and Development
- Designing and Delivery of Model Services
- Designing and Production of supportive devices
- Production and circulation of books in Braille and audio forms
- Education, Vocational Training and Rehabilitation services
- Production of Educational, Computational, Mobility and recreational aids and appliances
- Provision of consultancy services
Last Updated on 14 March 2013