Prasanna Krishnaswamy Temple




The Wadeyar dynasty of Mysore is believed to have descended from the Yadu Vamsha or race that was initiated by Lord Shree Krishna of Mahabharata fame. As a tribute, the Prasanna Krishnaswamy Temple of Mysore was built under the order and supervision of Krishnaraja Wadiyar III between the years 1825 to 1829, as per the temple inscriptions. The image of Ambegalu Krishna in the posture of crawling presides the Garbhagriha or Sanctum - Sanctorum. The child Krishna or Gopala has a ball of butter in his hand, known to be the favorite of the child God. the image is made of chloride schist and exudes an affectionate aura with all his innocent expressions.

Mysore Prasanna Krishnaswamy Temple houses some forty bronze deities of gods, Goddesses and saints. The statue of Krishnaraja Wadiyar III is also worshiped along with his wives in the temple.
The mural paintings on the walls of the Navaranga or the pillared central hall depicting stories from the Bhagavat Gita and are the examples of the famous Mysore paintings that flourished especially in the 19 th century. The Prakara or the enclosure bears a statue of Sage Atri who was the Gotra Rishi of the Maharaja.

The festival of Jasmashthami is celebrated with much religious fervor in Prasanna Krishnaswamy Temple as it marks the birth day of Lord Shree Krishna. The celebration continues for eight days and a colorful religious procession is arranged by the temple authorities which attract devotees from far off places. The festivity remembers the various legends associated with the Lord from his birth. One of the most famous of the temples in Mysore, it is located to the southern side of the main royal palace.



Last Updated on 9/14/2011