Thrissur, India is a famous city in Kerala. It was formerly named as Trichur and it serves as the administrative headquarters of the district of the same name. It is also known as the Cultural Capital of Kerala. The city houses a range of widely venerated temples and places of worship.
Where is Thrissur, India
The city lies at a distance of approximately 290 km from Trivandrum, the capital of Kerala. The city was constructed near a small mountain known as the Thekkinkadu Mountain, which houses the Vadakkumnathan temple.
What is the STD code of Thrissur?
The STD code of the place is 0487.
Why is Thrissur famous?
In terms of population, Thrissur ranks as the fourth most populated city in the state, following Trivandrum, Ernakulam, and Kozhikode (Calicut).
The city is dubbed as the cultural capital of the state due to the religious, traditional, and sacred inclinations in its chronicles. A number of cultural academies and centers are situated in the city, which include the following:
- Kerala Lalita Kala Akademi
- Kerala Sangeetha Nadaka Academy
- Kerala Sahitya Academy
The city also serves as an important business and economic hub in the state. Catholic Syrian Bank, South Indian Bank Ltd, and Dhanalakshmi Bank have their headquarters in the city. All of them are big scheduled banking institutions in India.
The city of Thrissur is famous for gold ornaments and silk sarees. It is a popular domestic traveler destination and is a famous educational hub, housing academic institutes like Kerala Police Academy, Kerala Kalamandalam, Kerala University of Medical and Allied Sciences, Kerala Agricultural University, and KILA (Kerala Institute of Local Administration).
Geographical features of Thrissur
The city lies to the west of Coimbatore, north of Kochi, and south of Kozhikode. The distances from the abovementioned cities and other major cities of India are as follows:
- Coimbatore 133 km
- Kochi or Cochin 75 km
- Kozhikode 144 km
- Bangalore 468 km
- Alappuzha 130 km
- Delhi 2,496 km
- Chennai 603 km
- Kanyakumari 369 km
- Guruvayoor 27 km
- Kochi Airport 59 km
- Kannur 218 km
- Kollam 213 km
- Kottayam 135 km
- Mangalore 359 km
- Kumarakom 131 km
- Munnar 159 km
- Madurai 280 km
- Mysore 265 km
- Mumbai 1,311 km
- Palakkad 65 km
- Ooty 198 km
- Sabarimala 205 km
- Panaji (Goa) 735 km
- Thiruvananthapuram 280 km
- Thekkady 213 km
- Mettur 256 km
- Varkala 245 km
Thrissur lies in the interior areas of the state, with a stretched out portion of Palakkad plateau. Most of the areas of the city are coated with Archaean stones.
Weather of Thrissur
Area and population of Thrissur
The city covers a total area of 39.16 sq miles or 101.43 sq km and according to the census conducted in 2001, the population of the city is 317,474. About 51.4% of the people living in the city are men and 48.6% women. The mean literacy rate of the city is 86.5%. Literacy rate among men is 87% while literacy rate among women is 86%.
Major tourist attractions in Thrissur
The major tourist attractions in Thrissur are listed below:
- Vadakkumnathan Temple
- Thiruvambadi Sri Krishna Temple
- Paramekkavu Temple
- Basilica of Our Lady of Dolours
- Our Lady of Lourdes Metropolitan Cathedral
- St. Anthony's Forane Church
- Mart Mariam Big Church
- Cheraman Juma Masjid
- Monuments, Museums, and Palaces
- Shakthan Thampuran Palace
- Archeological & Art Museum
- Appan Thampuran Smarakam.
- Thrissur Zoo
- Natural tourist attractions
- Athirappilly Falls
- Chavakad Beach
- Punnathur Kotta Elephant Sanctuary
- Kallayikkunnu hill station
Where to stay in Thrissur
Given below is a list of the top hotels in Thrissur:
- Coconut Island Resort, a fashionable island guesthouse in the backwoods.
- Casino Hotel
- Elite International
- Dass Continental
- Love Shore Inn - Close to the rail station.
- Hotel Krishna Inn - Closely located to the Vilangan mountains.
- Pathans Residential Hotel
- Merlin International
- Sidhartha Regency Hotel
- Joys Palace
- Luciya Palace Hotel
- LuLu International Convention Center & Garden Hotels
- Manappuram Hotel
- Nakshatra Inn
- Palace Tower Hotel
- Pearl Regency
- YMCA International Guest House
- Grandpark Regency
- Tamarind Thrissur KTDC Hotel
How to reach Thrissur
- By railways
The city is adeptly connected by train services to every big city in the country. Express trains from Delhi and Mumbai move across Thrissur. Regular train services are available from cities like Chennai, Bangalore, Hyderabad, and Mangalore every night.
- By air
The International Airport at Kochi is connected to international destinations such as Singapore, the Middle East, Europe, Maldives, and Sri Lanka via direct flights. It is located at a distance of 58 km from the city. Calicut, which is also known as Kozhikode, also has an airport and it is located at a distance of 80 km. Visitors can also use the Coimbatore Airport (114 km).
There is another way of reaching Thrissur. You can fly to Bangalore, Chennai, New Delhi, or Mumbai and subsequently take a train from there.
- By road
By road, Thrissur is perfectly linked to major cities like Kozhikode, Kochi, Bangalore (Bengaluru), Chennai, Madurai, Coimbatore, and Pollachi.
Other than buses, travelers can use auto rickshaws, taxis, and private cars as modes of roadway transportation.
- By bus
You can take a bus from Mangalore, Kozhikode, Bengaluru, Kochi, Chennai, Thiruvananthapuram (Trivandrum), Coimbatore, Mumbai and other major cities in Southern India to reach there.
What are the popular restaurants in Thrissur?
The restaurants in the city offer mouthwatering South Indian and Continental cuisines and the most popular restaurants where you can have a bite are listed below:
- Ming Palace - It is a Chinese restaurant which serves both Indian and intercontinental dishes. The restaurant is located close to Ragam Theater.
- Mothimahal - It is a multi cuisine restaurant and hotel and is located close to MG Road Overbridge.
- Mithila Vegetarian Restaurant in Round North.
- Indian Coffee House, Vadakke Stand, Round North.
- Central Hotel in Chembukkavu.
- Bharath Hotel - The restaurant serves vegetarian dinner, lunch, and breakfast. North Indian cuisines are available after 6 pm. The restaurant is located in Round South.
- Hotel Navarathna - The hotel is famous for serving high quality North Indian cuisine. It is located in Round West and lies close to Khadi Gramodhyog store.
- Hotel Ambadi - It is located in Round West.
- Joys Palace Hotel has a multi cuisine restaurant and it is located in Sakthan Stand.
- Trichur Tower Hotels feature a multi cuisine restaurant and it is situated in Sakthan Stand.
- LuLu Garden Hotels feature a multi cuisine restaurant. It is situated in Puzhakkal Padam (Lulu International Convention Center).
- Dass Continental features a multi cuisine restaurant, located in Sakthan Stand.
- Pathans vegetarian restaurant. It is closely located to Ragam Theater in Round South.
Last Updated on 20 September 2011