The forest and the associated fauna of Sunderbans forms one of the most unique ecosystems in the globe. Sunderbans is dominated by mangrove forests and derives its name from the plentiful Sundari trees.
Sunderbans presents a lot of attraction for the nature lover. The attractions are:
- Sajnekhali : Sajnekhali is a bird sanctuary. There is a mangrove interpretation center in Sajnekhali.
- Gosaba : Gosaba is the settlement of Sir David Hamilton.
- Tiger Reserve : This area is a world heritage site and has been declared a National Park by the Indian Government. The area of the Tiger Reserve is 2,585 square kilometer. The number of tigers present in the Tiger Reserve is 287 (1984 census).
- Bhagbatpur Crocodile Project : Bhagbatpur Crocodile Project is a crocodile breeding farm. This place is accessible through Namkhana. It is the hatchery of the largest estuarine crocodile in the world.
- Netidhopani : Netidhopani contains the ruins of a mysterious 400 year old temple.
- Haliday Island : Haliday Island is the last retreat of the Barking Deer.
- Kanak : It is the nesting place of Olive Ridley Turtles.
- Piyali: Piyali is the gateway to the Sunderbans . It is being developed as a tourist complex.