The Mumbai High Court was an important seat of legal and judicial jurisprudence, right from 1672. Under the strict supervision of Gerald Aungier, who was the Governor of the Surat Factory, George Wilcox became the Judge of the First British Court of Justice in Mumbai. However after the Revolt of 1857, the British Court was dissolved and the Bombay High Court came into prominence on 14th August 1862 under the 'Indian High Court Act' of 1861. After several decades of British rule, on 26th January 1950, the present day Bombay High Court acquired a separate Federal identity under the Supreme Court of India. With a long historical background, the High Court of Bombay is one of the oldest serving High Court of India.
Location of the Mumbai High Court
The Bombay High Court is located in the heart of the city between the Mumbai University and the Public Wok Secretariat.
Architecture of Mumbai High Court
The Mumbai High Court is made up of black stone and is five sixty two feet high. The High Court is modeled after the early English-Gothic architecture with huge octagon towers and broad stair cases.
Mr. Swatantar Kumar is the Honourable Chief Justice of the Mumbai High Court. The High Court of Mumbai is the highest body of Legal and Judicial Jurisprudence. The Bombay High Court is known for delivering swift and prompt decisions on matters of grave importance.
Last Updated on 23 May 2013