One of the oldest universities of the city and the first in the state of Karnataka is the Mysore University
that was established by Sri Krishnaraja Wodeyar IV, the then King of Mysore and his minister Sir M.Visvesvaraya. Realizing the need for the educational institute that would supervise the administration of the several institutes of the city, the Mysore University was set up in the year 1916. The Mysore University was the first university to be set up as an autonomous educational body that did not fall under the purview of the British colonial regime.
The Mysore University embarked in providing education with four departments of Science, Arts, Medicine and Engineering and Technology. The university set up separate boards of examination and studies in 28 disciplines. In 1916, the university was the administrative head of 12 other institutions.The main campus of the university is located on the western fringe of the Kukkarahalli Lake and stretches across a sprawling acre of 739 acres.
The main campus was established in 1960. The two other satellite campuses of the university are the Mysore University Postgraduate Center at Hemagangotri in Hassan and the Sir M.Visvesvaraya Postgraduate Center at Tubinakere in Mandya.
The Mysore University
has the administration supervision over the regions of Mysore, Hassan, Madya and Chamarajanagar districts. The university earlier had supervision over a larger area which has now fallen under the various other universities of the state of Karnataka. The Karnataka State Open University was initially borne of the Mysore university. Presently the university has 5 constituent colleges and 122 affiliated colleges under it.
Last Updated on : January 14, 2014