Salar Jung Museum


Salar Jung Museum
The Salarjung Museum proudly holds the coveted crown of being one of the 'largest one-man collections of the World'. The prized possessions of the Salarjung Museum was opened to the public with an inaugural address from Pandit Jawahar Lal Nehru on December 16, 1951.

The Salarjung Museum is the aspiration of Mir Yusuf Ali Khan better acquainted as Salar Jung III who was elected to be the Prime Minister of the Nizam 1912 when he was only 23. He later refused the post and consecrated his entire life to the accumulation of one of a kind antiques and paintings which was the sole source of joy in his desolate life.

The year 1961 marked the declaration of the Salarjung Museum of Hyderabad to be an 'Institute of National Importance' imposed by an act passed by the Parliament.

Special Features:-
  • The Salarjung Museum in Hyderabad houses over 43000 paintings, 9000 holographs and 47000 books that are all printed.

  • The section dealing with Indian Art comprises of sculptures of stone, bronze idols, cuttings of jade, painted textiles, wood carvings, small paintings, modern art , carvings of ivory, textiles, metal utensils, holographs, arms and various other war attires meant for protection.

  • The next section at the Salarjung Museum of Hyderabad deals with art concerned with the Middle Eastern Region whose prominent possessions include the amalgamation of prized carpets, paper (holographs), lacquer, sorted furniture, etc,that descended from countries like Egypt and Persia.

  • Far Eastern Art section displays porcelain, lacquer utensils, exquisite items connected with embroidery and a wide array of inlay products originating from places like Thailand and Japan. Different paintings form an integral appendage of the European aggregation of antiques.

  • Prominent Attractions:- Veiled Rebecca, ammunitions used by Aurangzeb, Noor Jahan, Shah Jahan, Mestophiles, The Lady With The Lamp and others.

  • The Clock Room displays a breath-taking collection of about 300 antique clocks which consists of a musical clock that was manufactured by Cook and Levy from England.



Last Updated on : 1/08/2013