Bangla Sahib in Delhi

Gurudwara Bangla Sahib
Bangla Sahib Gurdwara is located near the main Connaught Place in Delhi. It has developed into a center of pilgrimage for thousands of people everyday. People from various religions, castes and places visit this holy place .

A bungalow in Delhi owned by Raja Jai Singh of Amber (Jaipur) is now the Gurdwara Bangla Sahib. The 8th Guru Sri Harkishan had been here as a guest of Raja Jai Singh. He left for his heavenly abode on October 6, 1661 AD.

Gurdwara Bangla Sahib speaks the story of Baba Ram Rai, the elder brother of Guruji who tried in vain to influence the Sikhs of Delhi and Punjab. Later he went to Emperor Aurangzeb to secure the Gurugadi. Aurangzeb decided to summon Guru Harkrishan. The Rajput chief Raja Jai Singh took over the responsibility.

While in Delhi, the Guru served the humble and the people affected by cholera and smallpox . He gave medicines, food and clothes to the needy.

A small tank was built by Raja Jai Singh in the Gurdwara Bangla Sahib. This water is taken to cure ailments. The Delhi Sikh Gurudwara Management Committee has established a hospital in the basement of the Gurdwara Bangla Sahib. The Khalsa Girls School is there in the adjacent building. A pond of 225 x 235 feet has been built solely with donations from the devotees.

The Art Gallery present in the basement of the Gurdwara Bangla Sahib is worth seeing. They exhibit the paintings depicting historical events related with the Sikh history. The gallery is named after the Sikh General Sardar Bhagel Singh .

Address:
Gurdwara Bangla Sahib
Ashok Road
New Delhi-110001
Phone:91-11-23365486, 23342871

Last Updated on : July 08, 2013