Karnataka Universities include a number of renowned universities. The first Karnataka
University was Mysore University which was set up in the year 1916 and was followed by the Karnatak University in the year 1949, Bangalore University in 1964, Mangalore University in 1980. The Gulbarga University came up in 1980 and Kuvempu University in 1987.
Apart from these general universities, Karnataka Universities also include two Universities of Agricultural Sciences- the first one at Bangalore in 1965 and the other in Dharwad in 1986 which offer specialization programs in different branches of agriculture. In 1991, a Kannad University at Hampi was set up to promote the study of Kannad language, art and culture.
Out of the above mentioned universities, Bangalore, Mysore and Gulbarga Universities have been awarded five star status by the National Assessment and Accrediation Council(NAAC) which is an autonomous institution of the University Grants Commission.
The names of all the universities that are included in Karnataka University are given below along with the name of the city in which they are located :
Last Updated on : January 14, 2014
- Bangalore University (Bangalore)
- Gulbarga University (Gulbarga)
- Indian Institute of Science (Bangalore)
- Kannad University (Kamalapura)
- Karnatak University (Dharwad)
- Karnatak State Open University (Mysore)
- Kuvempu University (Shimoga)
- Mangalore University (Mangalore)
- Manipal Academy of Higher Education (Manipal)
- National Institute of Mental Health & Neuro Sciences (Bangalore)
- National Law School of India University (Bangalore)
- Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences (Bangalore)
- University of Agricultural Sciences (Bangalore)
- University of Agricultural Sciences (Dharwad)
- University of Mysore (Mysore)
- Vishvesvaraya Technology University