The Central University of Karnataka was brought into existence by an ‘Act of Parliament’. It is one among the 15 Central Universities founded by ‘Government of India’. CUK extends its jurisdiction over the whole of Karnataka. The academic session of the university started in August 2009 with the aim to establish itself as a leading national educational institution in India through the maintenance of highest quality of education.
The University campus sprawls over an area of 21 acres in “Kadaganchi Suntanur villages located on the Gulbarg- Waghdhari Inter-State Highway”. At present the Central University of Karnataka is operating from its temporary campus at second floor of Karya Soudha, Gulbarga University. The university will follow the credit based semester system of education.
Objectives of Central University of Karnataka
Facilities at CUK
- Advancing and distributing knowledge in various fields of education
- Impart education on integrated courses in social science, science, humanities, technology etc.
- Undertake measures for making the teaching and learning process innovative
- Promote inter-disciplinary education and research
- Train the man power of the country for the growth of the nation
- Look after the academic, intellectual, cultural and academic development of the people
As the campus of the University is still under construction, therefore temporary arrangements have been for the students at the Gulbarg University. Some of the facilities that the University has already started offering keeping the needs of the students in mind are-
- a computer centre has been made available to the students, faculty members, research scholars ad other university staff. The centre is out fitted with LAN and internet accessibility
- the University has made temporary arrangements for hostel accommodation to students. The limited seats will be offered to the students on a ‘first come basis’.
- the library of the Central University of Karnataka is out-fitted with facilities like Borrowing facility, internet service, reference service, user education, “scanned document access facility”, print and reprographic services, online e-resources, UGC-INFONET facility, current awareness service, etc. Future plans of the library of CUK include use of RFID technology, subscription to onlne books and journals, library and NAS server, internet connection from INFLIBNET etc.
The vice chancellor of this central university is Prof A.M.Pathan. This university of higher education is aware of the fact that it is a twenty first century educational institution of the country. Therefore the prime object of the Central University of Karnataka is to actively participate in the development of the nation. It sees itself as a path breaker in the academic world, maintaining both the quality and content of education.
Last Updated on : March 28, 2016