The Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur popularly called IIT Kharagpur and sometimes as IIT KGP is an institute of engineering and technology. It was set up in 1951 by the Government of India. This autonomous body of higher education has been recognized as one of the Institutes of National Importance.
It is also among the top engineering institutions in the country. IIT Kharagpur campus is the largest among all the other IITs with an area of 2100 acres and maximum number of students and departments.
The Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur which was originally situated in Esplanade Calcutta, moved to the permanent campus at Hijli, Kharagpur in September 1950. It is 120 kms from Kolkata and 5 kms from the Kharagpur railway station. Besides the main campus, the institute also has one extension centre located at Kolkata to offer continuing education and distance learning courses.
Programmes offered at Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur
- Undergraduate Courses
1. Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech.)
2. Bachelor of Architecture (B.Arch.)
3. 5 year integrated Master of Science
4. Undergraduate Medical Education Courses like MBBS
B.Tech is a 4 years programme divided into 8 semesters. The 1st year curriculam of the B.Tech. courses have subjects from various departments. In the 2nd year the students are required to take those courses which are exclusive to the respective. These courses are called depth courses. Apart from these, the students also undertake varied inter-disciplinary programmes called breadth courses. Individual courses on Social Science and Humanities, Management and Information technology are also necessary. The 3rd year B.Tech. comprise of compulsory industrial training.
- Postgraduate and Doctoral Programmes
1. Master of Technology (M.Tech.)
2. Master of Business Administration (MBA)
3. Master of Sciences (M.Sc.)
4. Postgraduate Diploma in Information Technology (PGDIT),
5. Master in Medical Science and Technology (MMST)
6. Master of City Planning (MCP),
7. Postgraduate Diploma in Intellectual Property Law (PGDIPL)
8. Postgraduate Diploma in Maritime Operation & Management (PGDMOM)
9. Doctor of Philosophy degree (Ph.D.)
Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur also offers "Dual Degree programmes" in certain specializations and branches
2 new MBA programmes that will be commencing from July 2010 are
- 1. E-MBA at Kolkata for all industries
- 2. KI-MBA at Bhubaneswar for knowledge industries
Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur provides Continuing Education Programme (CEP) for scientists and engineers so that they can learn about new technologies and other developments.
One department that has been recently established is the Centre for Ocean, River, Atmosphere and Land Science (CORALs). It is an academic and research department in earth sciences.
IIT Kharagpur has 8 multi-disciplinary centres or schools, 13 schools of excellence, and 19 academic departments. These are:
- Aerospace Engineering
- Architecture & Regional Planning
- Agricultural & Food Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Computer Science & Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Cryogenic Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Center for Educational Technology
- Electronics & Electrical Communication Engineering
- Geology & Geophysics
- Humanities & Social Sciences
- G S Sanyal School of Telecommunications
- Industrial Engineering & Management
- Materials Science
- Information Technology
- Medical Science & Technology
- Mechanical Engineering
- Metallurgical & Materials Engineering
- Ocean Engineering & Naval Architecture
- Mining Engineering
- Oceans, Rivers, Atmosphere and Land Sciences
- Rajiv Gandhi School of Intellectual Property Law
- Physics & Meteorology
- Ranbir and Chitra Gupta School of Infrastructure Design and Management
- Rubber Technology Centre
- Rural Development Centre
- Reliability Engineering Centre
- School of Water Resources
- Vinod Gupta School of Management
The other amenities of the institute Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur are civic hospital, 6 guest houses, 4 nationalised banks, railway reservation counter, 4 schools, water pumping station, telephone exchange, a market, six restaurants, electrical sub-station, and a garbage disposal section for the daily needs of the residents
Admission to the undergraduate and postgraduate programmes in IIT Kharagpur is done according to the entrance examinations.
Admission to Ph.D. and M.S. is through written test and personal interview.
Admission to undergraduate courses is through IIT-JEE.
The admissions to postgraduate programmes (M.Tech.) are made primarily through the Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE).
The Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur is the best engineering college in India as per India Today in 2001, 2002, 2003 and 2007. It was also among the top 500 universities of the world in the Shanghai Jiao Tong University's Academic Ranking of World Universities (2006).
Last Updated on : March 25, 2016