IIT Mandi is a new branch of the Indian Institute of Technology. The foundation of the institute was laid in 2009 and since then the course of development has been very fast in the institute. The institute has a vision of becoming a pioneering institution in science and technology education in the coming future. The institute is getting lots of help from other IITs and organizations for further development. IIT Roorkee is the mentoring institute for IIT Mandi.
In the beginning, classes for IIT Mandi were being held in IIT Roorkee. But since 2010, the classes have been shifted to a temporary campus in the Mandi town. The transit campus is actually situated in the premises of the Vallabh Degree College. All kinds of facilities are there in the transit campus, along with residential accommodation facilities for both boys and girls. The boy's hostel has 100 seats each for 1st year and 2nd year students.
The permanent campus of IIT Mandi is situated at Kamand, which is almost at a distance of 15 kilometers from the main city of Mandi. Various kinds of academic facilities, medical facilities and sports facilities are available on the main campus. There are further plans to expand the campus so that more students can be accommodated and can have the best of engineering education.
Director of IIT Mandi
Professor Timothy A. Gonsalves is the Director of IIT Mandi since 2009. He has a Ph.D. from the Stanford University. He has been associated to various IITs in India in different ways. He has also guided students in innumerable M.S. theses, B.Tech./M.Tech. projects as well as Ph.D. papers.
Schools in IIT Mandi
There are four schools in IIT Mandi. They are as follows:
Courses offered at IIT Mandi
- School of Engineering: The underlying principles of this school are atomic physics, classical mechanics and thermodynamics. Physical structures like transport systems, manufacturing, transport vehicles, designs, etc., are covered in the school.
- School of Computing and Electrical Engineering: This school includes key technologies like VLSI and microelectronics, computer science, electrical energy and communication. The fundamental principles on which the school is based are quantum mechanics, theory of computation, laws of electromagnetism, communication theory and so on.
- School of Humanities and Social Sciences: This school stresses on a thorough understanding of sociology, management, language, economics, ecology, and so on. This is required for becoming a good engineer.
- School of Basic Sciences: The subjects included in this school are physics, life sciences, chemistry and mathematics. Without a proper base in these subjects, studying engineering is not possible.
IIT Mandi offers courses at undergraduate, postgraduate as well as PhD levels.
Common Engineering Courses:
- Biotechnology and Life Sciences
- Computing and Electrical Engineering
Mechanical Engineering and Materials Sciences
Humanities and Social Sciences:
There are Minor Programs offered in various subjects like:
- International Language Competence
- Managerial Competence
- Communicative Competence
- Social Competence
- Creative Understanding
Elective courses are also offered in the following subjects:
- Applied Physics
- Structural Materials/Device Materials
- Mechanical Design
- Thermo Fluid Systems
- German Language
- Intelligent Systems
Admissions to IIT Mandi
- Basic Sciences
- Computer Science and Electrical Engineering
- Humanities and Social Sciences
- Mechanical Engineering and Material Sciences
Admission to the B.Tech. courses in IIT Mandi takes place through the Joint Entrance Examination (JEE) conducted by the IITs every year. The B.Tech courses are of four-year duration and each year is divided into two semesters. Thus, there are eight semesters that need to be covered in the B.Tech. courses. For M.S. and Ph.D. programs, there are special examinations and screening process that students have to undergo.
Faculty at IIT Mandi
The faculty at IIT Mandi are experts in their fields. Many of the professors imparting education in the engineering institute have been part of different IITs in the country and have received higher education from some of the best institutes of the world. A institute maintains a strong culture of research and original thinking, frequently arranging guest lectures by eminent personalities.
Central Library at IIT Mandi
The Central Library at IIT Mandi is one of the most important places in the institute premises. Almost 12,400 books are made available to the students of the institute. Apart from general books and journals, there are electronic resources available as well. Students have access to almost 2,000 e-journals in the library. There are also full-text databases, such as the following:
Student Activities at IIT Mandi
- IEC Standards
- ACM Digital Library
- SIAM all e-journals
- Taylor & Francis Journals (S&T)
- AIP Journals
- Springer Link Journals
- ACS Journals & Legacy Archive
No institute is complete without extracurricular activities. The same is applicable for IIT Mandi as well. There are different kinds of activities for the students and by the students at the engineering institute. Some of them are as follows:
Hostels at IIT Mandi
- Sports activities: Various kinds of sports facilities are offered to the students of IIT Mandi. For instance, there are facilities of football, cricket, badminton, lawn tennis, table tennis, basketball, volleyball, swimming and chess. Competitions are hosted for each kind of sports and IIT Mandi has shown impressive results in the same.
- Student Clubs: It is quite interesting to see that there are student clubs for different kinds of activities in the institute. Various kinds of cultural, technological, and co-curricular activities are arranged by these clubs from time to time. Some of the most important clubs are: music club, choreography club, information management group, dramatics club, magazine club, programme management group, robotics club, NSS/NSO, hiking and trekking club, etc.
There are many hostels at IIT Mandi and each of them provides accommodation facilities for girls and boys studying in the institute. The best thing about the hostels is that the best of facilities and amenities are provided to the students. Entertainment options are also made available to the students in the hostels so that they have a comfortable stay there. Some of the hostels are as follows:
- Prashar Hostel
- Saulikhad Hostel
- Chandra Taal Hostel
- Dashir Hostel
- Beas Kund Hall
- Suvalsar Hostel
- Renuka Hall
Last Updated on : March 20, 2016