The Indian Institute of Technology Bombay commonly known as IIT Bombay or IITB, is situated in Powai, Mumbai. This autonomous university is the 2nd oldest institute campus among the Indian Institutes of Technology system and also Maharashtra's largest National Institute. Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay is the 2nd IIT which was set up in 1958.
Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay has 2 schools, 10 multi-disciplinary centres, 14 departments.
Schools of Excellence in IITB
Multi-Disciplinary Centres in IIT Bombay
- Shailesh J Mehta School of Management (SJMSOM)
- School of Biosciences and Bioengineering Bioschool
1. Computer Aided Design Center (CAD)
2. Centre for Aerospace Systems Design and Engineering (CASDE)
3. Centre for Research in NanoTechnology and Sciences (CRNTS)
4. Computer Centre
5. Centre for Environmental Science and Engineering (CESE)
6. Centre for Distant Engineering Education Programme (C-DEEP)
7. Centre for Studies in Resources Engineering (CSRE)
8. Centre for Formal Design and Verification of Software (CFDVS)
9. Centre for Technology Alternatives for Rural Areas (CTARA)
10. Sophisticated Analytical Instrument Facility(SAIF)
Departments in Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay
1. Aerospace Engineering
3. Chemical Engineering
4. Civil Engineering
5. Earth Sciences
6. Computer Science & Engineering
7. Energy Science and Engineering
8. Electrical Engineering
9. Humanities & Social Science
11. Industrial Design Centre
12. Mechanical Engineering
14. Metallurgical Engineering Materials Science
Academic Programmes at Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay
IIT Bombay offers diverse programmes in pure sciences, engineering, design, management and humanities.
1. Bachelor of Technology (B. Tech.) in Chemical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Civil Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science and Engineering, Engineering Physics, Metallurgical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, and Materials Science.
2. Dual Degree (B.tech.- M.Tech., 5 years)
3. Master of Science (MSc.) in Biotechnology, Applied Statistics and Informatics (ASI), Chemistry, Earth Sciences, Physics, Mathematics.
4. Master of Design (M Des) in Visual Communication, Industrial Design, Animation, Interaction Design,
5. Master of Technology (MTech.) in Chemical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Computer Science and Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Information Technology, Earth Sciences (Geoexploration), Mechanical Engineering, Biomedical Engineering, Metallurgical Engineering and Materials Science, Corrosion Science and Engineering, Energy Systems Engineering, Industrial Engineering and Operations Research (IEOR), Environmental Science and Engineering, Reliability Engineering, Nanoscience, Systems and Control Engineering,.
6. Master of Design (MDes.),
7. Master of Management (MMgmt.),
8. Master of Philosophy (MPhil.) in Planning and Development
9. Doctor of Philosophy (PhD.) in all the engineering disciplines, science disciplines, interdisciplinary areas, humanities and Social Sciences
Besides these, the Indian institute of technology, Bombay, also provides inter-disciplinary programmes on
1. Corrosion Science & Engineering
2. Systems and Control Engineering
3. Industrial Engineering and Operations Research (IEOR)
Students for the undergraduate programmes at Indian Institute of Technology, Powai are selected through Joint Entrance Examination of the IITs.
IIT Bombay has been ranked as third best institute of Science and Technology in Asia.
Last Updated on : March 23, 2016