Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU)
, one of the oldest Delhi
Universities, is named after the first Indian Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru. The university caters to 5500 students and has over 500 faculties. Jawaharlal Nehru University Delhi also known as JNU has some of the best faculties, who are great academicians. Among the top 200 institutions in the world, Jawaharlal Nehru University of Delhi is ranked at 183rd position.
The highly prestigious Jawaharlal Nehru University in Delhi was established in the year of 1969 and has great curricula for different courses of studies. Degrees are offered for professional as well as vocational courses. Apart from the degree courses, there are diploma as well as certificate courses. All the courses are based on the needs of the modern society and the current professional needs.
The state of the art facilities of JNU
include well equipped library facilities and hostel facilities. The hostel facility indeed is greatly helpful for the students coming from far and wide to attain classes in this university. Jawaharlal Nehru University also offers scholarships based merit and economical background. Admission is completely based on merit, for which previous academic records are consulted along with results of admission tests. There are quota for backward classes as well as physically challenged people.
Schools under Jawaharlal Nehru University
Centres of JNU
- School of Arts and Aesthetics
- School of Computer and Systems Sciences
- School of Bio-Technology
- School of Environmental Sciences
- School of International Studies
- School of Information Technology
- School of Language, Literature and Cultural Studies
- School of Life Sciences
- School of Social Sciences
- School of Physical Sciences
Affiliated Institutions of JNU
- Centre for Molecular Medicine
- Special Centre for Sanskrit Studies
- Centre for the Study of Law and Governance
- Centre for International Trade and Development
Some of the institutions under JNU affiliation are mentioned below.
- Central Drug Research Institute
- Centre for Development Studies
- Central Institute of Medicine and Aromatic Plants, Lucknow
- C.V.Raman Research Institute, Bangalore
- College of Military Engineering (CME), Pune
- International Centre for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology
- Institute of Microbial Technology, Chandigarh
- Military College of Electronics and Mechanical Engineering, Secunderabad
- Naval College of Engineering (NCE), INS Shivaji, Lonavla
- Military College of Telecommunication Engineering (MCTE), Mhow
- National Institute of Immunology (NII), New Delhi
- Nuclear Science Centre, New Delhi
Facilities offered by the Jawaharlal Nehru University are hostel accommodation, guest houses, medical and sport facilities, disability support, cultural clubs etc. The unique and special feature of the university is its library which is the tallest building of the university within the campus with 9 storeys. It has a huge collection of books, journals, newspapers, and is equipped with reading rooms and computer terminals.
JNU has signed up MoUs with seventy one foreign universities thereby exchanging academic collaboration and programmes. The chancellor of JNU is Prof. Yash Pal and the vice chancellor is Prof B.B. Bhattacharya.
Last Updated on : January 14, 2014