National Institute of Technology Calicut also known as NITC is a federally funded university that was set up by an act of the Parliament. This Technical University is situated at Kettangal in Chathamangalam, 22 kms from the North-East Kozhikode.
It was previously called the Calicut Regional Engineering College (CREC). This institute for technical education was established to foster national integration through technical education to the students from all corners of the country.
The 'Ministry of Human Resource Development' under the Government of India, gave the NIT status to REC Calicut in June 2002 thereby granting it administrative and academic autonomy. NIT Calicut has also been recognized as an "Institute of National Importance".
Academic Departments at National Institute of Technology Calicut
- Department of Civil Engineering
- Department of Architecture
- Department of Computer Science and Engineering
- Department of Electrical Engineering
- Department of Chemical Engineering
- Department of Electronics & Communication Engineering
- Department of Mechanical Engineering
Schools of National Institute of Technology Calicut
- Department of Science and Humanities
- Department of Mathematics
- Department of Training & Placement
- Department of Physics
- School of Biotechnology
- School of Management Studies
- School of Nano Science and Technology
The institute also has an IT Finishing School set up by the HRD Ministry of India.
Centres National Institute of Technology Calicut
Academic Programmes at NIT Calicut
- Centre for Information Technology and Communication
- Centre for Biomechanics
- Sophisticated Instruments Centre
- NITC IBM ACE Centre
- Centre for Value Education
- Centre for Continuing Education
- Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech.)- It is offered in Chemical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Electrical and Electronics Engineering, Computer Science and Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Production and Management Engineering, Electronics and Communication Engineering, Engineering Physics and Bio-Technology.
- Bachelor of Architecture (B.Arch.)
- Master of Technology (M.Tech.)- It is offered in Structural Engineering, Offshore Structures, Environmental Geotechnology, Traffic and Transportation Planning, Computer Science and Engineering, Digital Systems and Communication Engineering, Information Security, Electronics Design and Technology, Microelectronics and VLSI Design, Telicommunication, Instrumentation and Control Systems, Energetics, Power Electronics, Computer Controlled Industrial Power, Industrial Engineering and Management, Thermal Sciences, Manufacturing Technology, Materials Science and Technology and Nanotechnology and Energy Management.
- Master of Computer Application (M.C.A.)
- Master of Business Administration (M.B.A.)
- Master of Architecture (M.Arch.)
- Master of Science (Technology) [M.Sc.(Tech.)]- It is a 3 years course in Mathematics and Scientific Computing, Photonics, and Polymer Science and Technology
- Ph.D. in all the disciplibes of Science and Engineering
Admission to the undergraduate courses is done as per the "All India Engineering Entrance Examination" (AIEEE). Admission to M.Tech and PhD programmes are done as per the scores GATE examination, held by the IITs in India whereas admission to MCA programme is through NIMCET held by the NITs.
NIT Calicut is one of the top 10 institutions in India and is also one of the to 20 Engineering colleges in India.
Last Updated on : March 23, 2016