Nandan Nilekani Biography
Nandan Nilekani, the co-founder, MD, President and presently the CEO of Infosys Technologies Ltd, was the youngest Indian software entrepreneur to be a part of the 20 global leaders of the esteemed World Economic Forum Foundation Board in 2006.
Born to Mohan Rao Nilekani and Durga Nilekani in Bangalore> in 1955, Nandan Nilekani completed his schooling from Bishop Cotton Boys School, Bangalore and graduated in electrical engineering in 1978 from the Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay.
Nandan Nilekani started his career in Patni Computer Systems in 1978 where he met N. R. Narayana Murthy. In 1981, Nandan Nilekani founded Infosys Technologies Ltd together with Mr. N. R. Narayana Murthy and seven colleagues.
He became the President and Chief Operating Officer and was promoted to the post of Chief Executive Officer of Infosys in March 2002.
Nandan Nilekani is the member of the following Boards
- Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI)
- Asia Pacific Regional Advisory Board – London Business School
- Corporate government Advisory Group – Reserve Bank of India
- The Board of Reuters
- Advisory Board of Business and Society -ASPEN Institute
- National Knowledge Commission and E-Governance’s National Advisory Group
- The Jawaharlal Nehru National Urban Renewal Mission’s Review Committee
The IndUS Entrepreneurs (TiE), Bangalore and National Association of Software and Service Companies (NASSCOM) were both founded by Nandan Nilekani. Nandan Nilekani was awarded the following awards and titles.
- In 2002-2003, PricewaterhouseCoopers and Financial Times named him “World’s most respected business leaders”.
- In 2004 CNBC presented Nandan “The Corporate Citizen of the Year” award.
- Fortune magazine conferred him “Asia’s Power 25” in 2004.
- Innovative services in the sphere of politics, economic sciences and economy earned Nandan the most prestigious Joseph Schumpeter prize in 2005
- In 2006, Nandan was honored with the Padma Bhushan, the highest civilian award by the Indian Government.
- In 2006 May issue, the TIME magazine counted him the Most Influential Business Personality among 100 in the World.
- Forbes Asia named him ‘Business Leader of the Year’ in 2006.
- In 2007, Nandan Nilekani was named the “Businessman of the Year” by the Forbes Magazine.