Shivaji Rao Gaekwad, more famous as Rajinikant is one of the most influential actors in Indian cinema. His mannerisms and stylized delivery of dialogue has brought him to limelight. Apart from acting, Rajinikant is also a screenwriter, film producer and playback singer.
Rajinikant is basically from Karnataka and worked as a bus conductor for Bangalore Metropolitan Transport Corporation in Bangalore. During the period, he performed in various stage plays to nurture his acting skills.
Rajinikant was born on 12 December 1950 to Ramoji Rao Gaekwad, a police constable and Ramabai, a housewife. He married Latha Rangachari on 26 February 1981, in Tirupati, Andhra Pradesh. They have two daughters named Aishwarya Rajinikanth and Soundarya Rajinikanth. His daughter Aishwarya Rajinikanth is married to actor Dhanush, while Soundarya married industrialist Ashwin Ramkumar.
Rajinikant made his debut with the Tamil film Apoorva Raagangal in 1975. The film won three National Film Awards including the award for the Best Tamil Feature. The second film of his career was Katha Sangama in 1976. It was experimental film which was made in new wave style. Ever since then, Rajanikant never looked back in his career. Some of his other movies which are remembered till date are Moondru Mudichu, Baalu Jenu, Mullum Malarum, Chilakamma Cheppindi, Garjanai Bhuvana Oru Kelvikkuri and many more.
By 1980, he became a superstar in South Indian films. However, apart from Tamil, Telugu, and Kannada films, he did some Bollywood and Bengali films as well.
Rajinikant is 66 year old but he has the same impression in the industry as he used to have thirty years ago. His films are popular not only India but abroad as well.
Awards and Honour
- Filmfare Award for Best Tamil Actor in 1984
- Six Tamil Nadu State Film Awards
- Awards from Cinema Express and Filmfans’ Association for on-screen performances and off-screen contributions in writing and producing
- Kalaimamani award in 1984
- M. G. R. Award in 1989
- Kalaichelvam Award in 1995
- Chevalier Sivaji Ganesan Award for Excellence in Indian Cinema
- Received Padma Bhushan in 2000
- Centenary Award for Indian Film Personality of the Year in 2014
- Padma Vibhushan in 2016, and many more.