Sanjay Dutt Biography
Sanjay Dutt is an award-winning movie star of Bollywood. He was born on 29th July, 1959 into an affluent family with rich Bollywood roots. His father was Sunil Dutt, a famed actor and politician, while his mother Nargis, was a famous heroine of yesteryears.
Nicknamed ‘Sanju Baba’ in the film circuit and by fans, the tall, hulking actor oozes a magnetic charm and maturity on and off screen. The road to stardom had not been smooth for Sanjay Dutt. There were many tragedies in Sanjay’s life that inflicted him, beginning from his youth, when he took up drugs, due to his mother’s death by cancer and the pressures of being a superstar’s son, for which he underwent rehabilitation in Texas.
Sanjay’s tryst with bad fortune however continued. The death of his first wife Richa Sharma, his losing a legal custody battle of daughter Trishla, and the divorce from his second wife Rhea Pillai, were the drawbacks on the family front. Dogged by controversies regarding his infamous arrests and jail sentences served due to his alleged involvement in the 1993 TADA bomb-blast case in Mumbai, the illegal possession of firearms, caused him much mental agony. However, Sanjay’s ‘Never Give In’ motto in life made him stage a fabulous comeback, which can be witnessed through his many box-office hits.
Sanjay Dutt’s made his Bollywood debut in the hit film Rocky (1991), but his major breakthrough came in the role of a villain in Subhash Ghai’s Khalnayak (1993). Steadily building his acting career, Sanjay’s maturity and versatility was displayed through his roles in action, comedy and romantic films, earning him rave reviews. Despite the troubled times Sanjay went in and out of, he always made the box-office jingle with stunning hits like:
- Vidhaata (1982)
- Naam (1986)
- Sadak (1991)
- Saajan (1991)
- Vaastav (1999)
- Mission Kashmir (2000)
- Kaante (2002)
- Munnabhai M.B.B.S. (2003)
- Musafir (2004)
- Zinda (2005)
- Lage Raho Munnabhai (2006)
- Eklavya: The Royal Guard (2007)
- Nehlle Pe Dehlla (2007)
Sanjay Dutt’s forthcoming films include Munna Bhai Chale Amerika, Mera Bharat Mahaan, Shootout at Lokhandwala and Dus Kahaniyan.
Featuring amongst India Today’s – Top Ten list of Most Influential Bollywood Personalities, Sanjay Dutt has received numerous Awards and Nominations for his fabulous acting and dedication to the film industry. Some of these Awards are:
- Filmfare Awards – Best Actor Award for Vaastav: The Reality (2000)
- International Indian Film Academy Awards – “Award for Artistic Excellence, Actor in a leading role” for Vaastav: The Reality (2001)
- Star Screen Awards- Best Supporting Actor for Mission Kashmir (2001)
- Filmfare Awards – Best Comedian Award for Munnabhai M.B.B.S.(2004)
- Stardust Star of the Year Award for Munnabhai M.B.B.S.(2004)
- Global Indian Film Awards- Critics Choice Awards – Best Actor (Male) for Lage Raho Munna Bhai (2006).
- Stardust Star of the Year Award for Lage Raho Munnabhai (2007)
- Zee Cine Awards – Critics Awards for Lage Raho Munnabhai (2007)