Ameen Sayani is famous for his golden voice. He has compered programs on radio and television. He started his career in radio in 1951 with Radio Ceylon and won the heart of millions with ‘Binaca Geetmala’on AIR. At present he hosts a show on RED FM and also produces a few shows for the network. During his career of over 50 years, he has produced and compered more than 54,000 radio programmes and 19,000 jingles.
Ameen Sayani was born in 1932, in a patriotic family which was deeply involved with Indian struggle of independence. He studied in eminent schools like New Era in Bombay and Scindia School in Gwalior and graduated from St. Xavier’s College in Bombay. From 1945 to 1960, Ameen Sayani helped his mother Kulsum Sayani in editing the journal “Rahber”, published fortnightly for neo-literates, started by Mahatma Gandhi. The journal was also published in the Devnagri (Hindi), Urdu and Gujarati scripts. He was an expert in communicating in clear and credible Hindi.
Ameen Sayani’s brother, Hamid was an eminent broadcaster in English, who introduced him into stage acting and direction, compering, writing at an early age and later to All-India Radio. He was associated with All-India Radio, Bombay for ten years, where he conducted programmes in English. With the help of his brother Hamid, he entered the Indian agency of the Commercial Service of Radio Ceylon and shifted from English to Hindustani. He took part in radio shows and commercials for All-India Radio when its Commercial Service started on its network “Vividh Bharati”.
Ameen Sayani participated in many popular national radio shows including:
- ” Binaca Geetmala” broadcasted since 1952, mainly over Sri Lanka Broadcasting Corporation and later over Vividh Bharati (AIR), for over 42 years. The program was later revived after 7 years – and was aired over the National Network of Vividh Bharati as “Colgate Cibaca Geetmala”, till August 2003.
- “S. Kumars Ka Filmi Muqaddama” and “Filmi Mulaqaat” aierd over SLBC and Vividh Bharati for 7 years.
- “Saridon Ke Saathi” was AIR’s first sponsored show, which was aired for 4 years.
- “Bournvita Quiz Contest” broadcasted for 8 years.
- “Shalimar Superlac Jodi” broadcasted for 7 years.
Few of Ameen Sayani’s successful international radio shows are “Mini Insertions of Filmstar Interviews” was aired over the British Broadcasting Corporation’s Ethnic Network in the U.K.; “Music For The Millions” for the BBC’s World Service Radio; “Veetee Ka Hungama” aired over Sunrise Radio, London; “Geetmala Ki Yaaden” over Radio Ummul Quwain, UAE; “Hangamay” over ethnic radio stations in Toronto, Washington, Houston, Los Angeles, San Fransisco and Boston.
Ameen Sayani has also been associated with various organisations and committees :
- Founder member and also the President of Radio & TV Advertising Practitioners’ Association from 1984 to 1987
- Founder member of the Advertising Standards Council Of India and the Chairman from 1989-90.
- Member of the Council For Public Service Communication since its formation.
- Member of Advertising Club, Bombay .
For his exceptional contribution Ameen Sayani has been felicitated with many awards:
- Living Legend Award (2006) from Federation OF Indian Chambers OF Commerce & Industry, with India Radio Forum
- Dadasaheb Phalke Award (2003)
- Kaan Hall Of Fame Award (2003) from Radio Mirchi (FM Network of the Times Group) :
- Golden Abby by Advertising Club, Bombay (2000 )
- Hall Of Fame Award (1993) fromIndian Academy Of Advertising Film Art (IAAFA)
- Person Of The Year Award (1992) Limca Book Of Records
- Gold medal(1991) from Indian Society Of Advertisers (ISA) presented by Mr. K.R. Narayanan, who was then Vice-President of India