About Ashwini Nachappa
Ashwini Nachappa is a former athlete and an Indian film actress from Karnataka. She gained popularity during the 1980s after outrunning P.T. Usha on two separate occasions. She is popularly known as 'Flo Jo', or 'Florence Griffith Joyner of India'. Like Flo Jo, Nachappa was known for her performances in the field along with her glamorous appearance. Her popularity and glamour-queen outlook brought her many film proposals, which she later accepted, only to become a well-known film actress in 'Tollywood', the south Indian film industry. She was honored with the Arjuna Award in the year 1990. She is also a social worker and an educationalist besides being an entrepreneur (she runs her own school). Currently, she is the president of the Bangalore Urban District Athletics Association.
Nachappa was born on 21st October, 1967 in Karnataka. She lived in Kolkata for six years where her father worked for Birla Rayon. Later, her family relocated to Bangalore (now Bengaluru) where she and her sister Pushpa trained under Late M.S. Gill. Very soon she proved herself as an able athlete. After her retirement as a sportswoman, she and her husband started a sports academy. She has two daughters, both of whom are into sports since their childhood days.
Nachappa was only 10 years when she showed her excellence in the field of sports (relay). As she grew up, she participated in many games which were hosted in many countries of the world. She is best known for outrunning P.T. Usha on two separate occasions.
Apart from sports, Nachappa is also a known name in the South Tollywood film industry. She acted in a few feature films (Telugu Cinema). She has also acted in her own biographical film, Ashwini. In fact, she also received the state Nandi Award for Best Debut Actress.
She is one of the most successful national athletes and qualified for the Seoul Olympics in 1988.
- Ashwini, 1991
- Inspector Ashwini, 1993
- Aadarsham, 1993
- Miss 420, 1995
- Andaroo Andare, 1996
- In 1984, she represented India in South Asian Federation Games, hosted in Nepal and won two silver medals.
- In 1986, the South Asian Federation Games was hosted in Bangladesh, where she won two silver medals.
- In 1988, the South Asian Federation Games was hosted in Pakistan and she won three gold medals.
- In 1986, she stood 6th in long jump in Asian Games held in South Korea.
- In 1990, she won silver medal in 4x100 m relay in Asian Games held in Beijing, China.
- In 1987, she represented India in Rome in World Championship where she was the member of the 4x400 m relay.
- In 1991 World Championships as well, she was the member of 4x 400 m relay.
Last Updated on : October 5, 2016
|Famous Indian Athletes|
|Ashwini Nachappa||Soma Biswas||P.T.Usha|
|Jyotirmoyee Sikdar||Anju Bobby George||Shiny Abraham|
|KM Beenamol||Milkha Singh|