The International Weightlifting Federation banned the Indian Weightlifting Federation from participating in all international competitions for one year, as three Indian women weightlifters-- S Sunaina, Sanamacha Chanu and Pratima Kumari, were accused of doping offences in various international competitions in a single year.
Few notable Indian weightlifters and their remarkable achievements are:
- Yumnam Chanu secured gold medal at the Commonwealth Games in 2006, in the Women's 58kg category.
- Sudhir Kumar Chitradurga won the bronze medal at the Commonwealth Games in 2006, in the Men's 69kg class.
- Pratima Kumari secured two gold medals at the Manchester Commonwealth Games (2002). She tested positive at a pre-Olympic anti-dope operation.
- Kunjarani Devi won a gold medal at the Commonwealth Games (2006), in Melbourne in the 48 kg woman's category.
- Karnam Malleshwari is the first Indian who secured an Olympic medal at the 2000 Summer Olympics at Sydney.
- Mohammed Asdullah won the silver medal at the Commonwealth Games (2006), in the Men's 77kg category.
- Geeta Rani was the star at the Commonwealth Games (2006), as she won the gold medal in the Women's +75 kg category.
Last Updated on : February 3, 2014