Anita Ratnam is one of India’s most celebrated dancer and choreographer. Trained in the classical dances of Kerala, Anita specializes in Bharatanatyam, Kathakali and Mohiniattam. Apart from being a dancer, she has exhibited her multi-dimensional skills as trans-cultural collaborator, TV personality, author, speaker, arts presenter and cultural activist.
Anita Ratnam initial training was under Adyar K. Lakshmanan, after which Anita Ratnam received Rukmini Devi Arundale’s advanced training in ‘Kalakshetra’ where Anita Ratnam secured her post-graduate diploma in dance. Besides, she earned a Masters degree in Television and Theatre from the University of New Orleans, U.S.A. Anita was also nominated for Ace and Emmy awards for her contribution to US television as producer-commentator on Indian art, culture and travel. Anita Ratnam was highly praised for the TV series ‘Festivals of India’.
Till date she has given more than 1000 performances worldwide. Some of her famous programmes include:
- ‘A map to the world’ (1997) with native American poet Joy Harjo
- ‘The inner world’ (1998) with Pangea World Theatre, Minneapolis
- ‘Dust’ (2001) with Mark Taylor of Dance Alloy in Pittsburgh, USA
- ‘Daughters of the Ocean’ (1999)
In 1992 Anita Ratnam founded a performing arts unit in Chennai called ‘Arangham’ which concentrates on enriching, exploring and encouraging the visual arts of India.
More accomplishments of Anita Ratnam
- Author of ‘Natya Brahman’, a comparative study on the drama traditions of India and Greece
- Editor and publisher of “Narthaki” a complete guide to Indian dance
Awards and achievements of Anita Ratnam
- ‘Nritya Choodamani'(1996) by Sri Krishna Gana Sabha, Chennai
- ‘Kalaimamani’ (1998) for Dance Research by Govt. of Tamilnadu
- Media Achievement award (1991) by National Organisation of women in New York
- Mahatma Gandhi Award for cultural harmony (1986) US
- ‘Lalithakalaratna’ (2003) by Sri Lalithakala Academy, Mysore, 2003
- ‘Natya Ratna’ (2003) by Sri Shanmukhananda Sangeeta Sabha, New Delhi
She has starred in the South Indian movie ‘Kandukondain Kandukondain’
|Famous Personalities Biography|