Jaya Bachchan Biography
Jaya Bachchan is an extremely talented and successful actress of Bollywood. She was born on 10th April 1948. She married the famous megastar of Bollywood Amitabh Bachchan and is the mother of Shweta Nanda and actor Abhishek Bachchan. She is the daughter of Bengali writer Tarun Bhaduri , a resident of West Bengal.
She was elected as a Member of the Rajya Sabha in 2004. But in March, 2006 she had to leave her post as the President of India directed that her status as a member of the Rajya Sabha conflicted with her current status as a Chairperson of the Uttar Pradesh Film Development Council.
Jaya Bachchan started her film career with Satyajit Ray’s Bengali film ‘Mahanagar’ in 1963. The film did not do well but she proved her acting skills. Her debut film in Bollywood was Hrishikesh Mukherjee’s ‘Guddi’. This was followed by other films like ‘Uphaar’, ‘Jawani Deewani’ , ‘Anamika’,and Bawarchi. She acted with her husband in the hit films like Zanjeer (1973), Abhimaan (1973), Chupke Chupke (1975) and Sholay (1975). After her marriage she took a break from films.
After 18 years, Jaya Bachchan returned to films with Hazaar Chaurasi Ki Maa (1998) and has since played the role of mother. In 2000 she acted in the film Fiza with Karisma Kapoor and Hrithik Roshan and received the Filmfare Best Supporting Actress Award for her praiseworthy role. She has also performed in films like Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham (2001) with Amitabh Bachchan, Koi Mere Dil Se Poochhe and Kal Ho Naa Ho (2003) .
Some of the awards and honors received by her are:
- Filmfare Best Actress Award, Kora Kagaz(1975)
- Filmfare Best Actress Award, Naukar (1980
- Filmfare Best Supporting Actress Award, Fiza 2001
- Filmfare Best Supporting Actress Award, Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham2002
- Filmfare Best Supporting Actress Award, Kal Ho Na Ho 2004
- Filmfare Lifetime Achievement Award 2007
- She received the Yash Bharati Samman( Greatest award from the Government of Uttar Pradesh)
- She was awarded with the Padma Shri.