Katrina Kaif Biography
Katrina Kaif is an attractive model and well-known actress of Indian film industry. She was born on July 16, 1984 to an NRI father, originally from Jammu & Kashmir and a British Mother. She grew up in Hawaii and London. She started her modeling career with a jewellery campaign at the age of 14.
While working on a modeling assignment in London, Katrina Kaif was noticed by filmmaker Kaizad Gustad and offered a sizzling role in his film ‘Boom’. She started her modeling career with photographer Atul Kasbekar, and this gorgeous model was featured in the advertisements of LG, Coca Cola, Fevicol, Lakme and Veet. Blending herself with a different culture and country was not difficult for her as she says that she has received immense love and respect in India. She has been working hard and taking Hindi and Kathak lessons to establish herself as a Bollywood actress.
Katrina Kaif has been praised for her role in “Maine Pyar Kyon Kiya” with Salman Khan and Sushmita Sen and acted with eminent Bollywood directors like Ram Gopal Varma in Sarkar. In 2006, Katrina Kaif has given a spectacular performance in “Hum Ko Deewana Kar Gaye” opposite Akshay Khanna. She acted in two Telugu movies – Malliswari (2004) and Allari Pidugu (2005). In 2006, she performed in a Malayalam Cinema with the well-known actor Mammootty in Balram v/s Tharadas.
Her initial success came in the year 2007 when she appeared in four films, all of them were box office successful. Her movie Namaste London (2007) was also well acclaimed by critics. She played the role of Jasmeet aka Jazz a modern girl born and brought up in London. Her next movie was “Apne” in which she did a guest appearance; the film was a box-office hit. Her next releases were Partner and Welcome; both these films were declared as blockbuster in India.
In 2008, she stared in Abbas-Mustan’s action-thriller film Race. The film did well at the block office. She was seen next in an action comedy film Singh Is Kinng. The film was a blockbuster. It was Katrina’s sixth consecutive success at the box office. Her final release of 2008 was Yuvvraaj, a commercial failure on the box office. In 2009, she featured in movies like New York, Blue, Ajab Prem Ki Ghazab Kahani and De Dana Dan.
In 2010, her role in Prakash Jha’s political thriller Raajneeti was well appreciated and the film also performed well at the box office. Her next release for that year was a silly comedy Tees Maar Khan. Her item number in the movie “Sheila Ki Jawani” became a major chartbuster and a hit. In 2011, she stared Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara, which was a major commercial success at the box office. Her next movie was Mere Brother Ki Dulhan which was also successful at the box office.
In 2012, she featured in Kabir Khan’s spy thriller Ek Tha Tiger opposite her ex-boyfriend Salman Khan. The film broke many records and was declared a huge success commercially. Her second release for the year was Yash Chopra’s romantic film Jab Tak Hai Jaan with Shah Rukh Khan and Anushka Sharma. She is expected to star in two high profile production films in the coming year, i.e. Dhoom 3 and Bang Bang.
Awards and Honours
- 2006: Breakthrough Performance Award (Female) for Maine Pyaar Kyun Kiya – Stardust Awards
- 2008: Style Diva of the Year – IIFA Awards
- 2008: British Indian Actor Award – Zee Cine Awards
- 2009: Rajiv Gandhi Award
- 2009: ASSOCHAM Award in Performing Excellence
- 2010: Entertainer of the year – Star Screen Awards
- 2010: Best Actress – Popular Award for New York &Ajab Prem Ki Ghazab Kahani – Stardust Awards
- 2011: Best Actress (Popular Choice) for Raajneeti and Tees Maar Khan – Star Screen Award
- 2011: Hindustan Times Reader’s Choice Entertainer of the Year Award (Female) – Apsara Awards
- 2012: International Icon Female – Zee Cine Awards
- 2013: International Icon Female – Zee Cine Awards
- 2013: People’s Choice Awards India – Favourite Actress – Ek Tha Tiger
- 2013: Forbes India’s Celebrity Ranking No. 1 (Female)
- 2013: Brand Endorser of the Year (Female) at the IAA Leadership Awards
- 2013: Most Popular Actress (According to various polls & surveys)
- 2013: Female Superstar at HiFlyers Awards
- 2013: Best Actress (Popular Choice) for Ek Tha Tiger and Jab Tak Hai Jaan – Colors Screen Award
- 2008, 2009, 2010, 201, 2012: Sexiest Asian Woman
- 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 : Most Searched Indian Actress (on Google)
- 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 : Most Downloaded Indian Actress