Sonam Kapoor Biography
Sonam Kapoor comes from the Bollywood family but she does not need her father Anil Kapoors name to stand out in the crowd. She has built her own name in the industry with multiple hits. She is also considered a huge fashion icon in the country and was a brand ambassador for L’Oreal Paris at one time. Recently, she has tied the knot with businessman Anand Ahuja on May 8, 2018.
Earlier Life of Sonam Kapoor
Sonam Kapoor was born on June 9, 1985, in Mumbai suburb to the Bollywood superstar Anil Kapoor and former model and designer Sunita. However, most of her childhood was spent in Juhu suburb. She has 2 siblings – one sister, Rhea Kapoor and a brother, Harshavardhan Kapoor. She received her education from the Arya Vidya Mandir School. In her younger years, she showed interest in basketball, Latin dance, and Kathak classical music.
Sonam Kapoor Career
Sonam Kapoor was interested in becoming a writer and director. She also pursued a career in theatre and arts at United World College of South East Asia in Singapore. She wanted to work behind the camera and be a part of the film ‘crew’. On her father Anil Kapoor’s recommendation, she also got the job of Assistant Director for Sanjay Leela Bhansali’s venture ‘Black’ in 2005.
Later in 2007, she worked for Bhansali for his film “Saawariya” in the leading role. Besides getting praise for her performance, she was also admired for her beauty. Her second film came in 2009 where she worked with Abhishek Bachchan in ‘Delhi 6’, which added to her popularity. In 2010, she was being considered a superstar after the two hits, “I Hate Love Story” and “Ayesha”. In the same year, she was named in the Forbes list of 100 famous Indian celebrities.
She did go through a rough patch afterward with a series of unsuccessful films until the 2013 superhit Ranjana which restored her stardom. In 2014 came Khoobsurat which was a mild success. Later she played the role of a princess in Prem Ratan Dhan Payo which is one of the highest grossing films in Bollywood. For Neerja (2016), she got lots of critical acclaims and even won the National Film Award for it. And with 2018 Padman again, she got lots of praise for her performance.
Awards and Achievements
- She won ‘Superstar of Tomorrow’ at Stardust awards for her debut Saawariya in 2008.
- She won ‘Best Actress in a Comedy or Romance’ role for Khoobsurat at Stardust awards in 2015.
- For the movie Neerja released in 2016, she won a couple of awards at a number of award functions. She won
- Best Actress at Indian Film Festival of Melbourne, Editor’s Choice Best Actress of the Year at Stardust Awards and Best Actress (Critics) award at Filmfare Awards.
- For Padman released in 2018, she won Best Actress in a Leading Role at DadaSaheb Phalke Film Foundation Awards.