Sonu Nigam Biography
Sonu Nigam is an established playback singer of Bollywood and known for his distinct style and versatile voice. He has also sung for a number of Indi-pop albums. He was born on 30th July 1973 in Faridabad, Haryana. He shifted to Delhi with his family when he was quite young.
He did his schooling from J.D. Tytler School. He inherited the talent of singing from his father Agam Kumar who was a singer too. He was given an opportunity to sing by Gulshan Kumar of T-Series, one of the major Indian recording companies.He married Madhurima in Kolkata on 15th February 2002.
Sonu Nigam’s career as a singer started with his singing covers of songs by Mohammad Rafi. As a playback singer his debut film was Janum which was not released officially. His next break as a playback singer was in Gulshan Kumar’s film Aaja Meri Jaan followed by “Accha Sila Diya Tune” for Bewafa Sanam (1996). Few popular songs of Sonu Nigam which shot him to fame are “Sandese Aate Hai” from Border (1997), “Yeh Dil, Deewana” in Pardes (1997), “Kal Ho Naa Ho”in Kal Ho Naa Ho(2004),”Saathiya” in Saathiya,”Suraj Hua Maddham” in Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham,”Tanhayee” in Dil Chahta Hai and many more. He did playback singing for innumerable Hindi movies and has sung in other regional languages like Punjabi, Bengali,Telugu, and Kannad.
Awards won by Sonu Nigam:
- Swaralaya Yesudas Award, for his outstanding performance in Music (2005)
- MTV Immies – Best Pop Album, for his album “Chanda Ki Doli” (2005)
- Star Screen Award Best Male Playback, for the song “Dheere Jalna”, from the film “Paheli” (2005)
- National Film Award for Best Male Playback Singer, for the song “Kal Ho Naa Ho”, from the film Kal Ho Naa Ho (2004)
- IIFA Best Male Playback Award, for the song “Kal Ho Naa Ho”, from the film Kal Ho Naa(2004)
- Filmfare Best Male Playback Award, for the song “Kal Ho Naa Ho”, from the film Kal Ho Naa Ho”(2003)
- Zee Cine Award Best Male Playback Singer, for the song “Saathiya”, from the film “Saathiya” (2003)
- Filmfare Best Male Playback Award, for the song “Saathiya”, from the film Saathiya. (2002)
- Zee Cine Award Best Playback Singer- Male, for the song “Suraj Hua Maddham”, from the film “Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham” (2002)
- Zee Cine Award Best Male Playback Singer, for the song “Sandese Aate Hai”, from the film “Border” (1998)
Sonu Nigam has also sung for popular private pop albums like “Mausam”, “Sapnay Ki Baat”, “Kismat”, “Deewana”, “Jaan”, “Yaad” and “Chanda ki Doli”. He has even tried his luck in the field of acting and acted in movies like Jaani Dushman, Kaash Aap Hamare Hote, and Love in Nepal. He hosted a musical show SaReGaMa on Zee TV which became immensely popular and also hosted Kisme Kitna Hai Dum and has been a judge for the talent hunt program Indian Idol on Sony TV. Sonu Nigam has even started hosting a radio programme on Radiocity 91 FM called Life Ki Dhun, in which he interviews legendary figures of Bollywood.