Sushmita Sen Biography
About Sushmita Sen
Sushmita Sen is an actress in the Indian film industry and the winner of the Miss Universe pageant, 1994. In the same year she won the Miss India title beating Aishwarya Rai, who was considered a strong contender for the title. She impressed the judges with her grace, beauty and intelligence and won the Miss Universe title in 1994, which paved her way for entering the film industry. She became the first Indian to win a Miss Universe Title.
Sen was born on 19 November, 1975 in Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh. She is a single mother of two adopted daughters, Renee and Alisah. To get the full right of her daughter Renee, she had to fight a long battle at court which finally ended when she was given the possession of her daughter in 2000. Sen adopted Alisah on 13 January, 2010 when she was three months old.
Sushmita Sen’s debut film in Bollywood was “Dastak”, where she played the role of Miss Universe who was being chased by a psycho, played by Sharad Kapoor. The film bombed followed by another flop, “Zor” at the box office. Her comic role in David Dhawan’s “Biwi No.1” gave her recognition in the film industry.
Later, she performed a romantic role in “Bus Itna Sa Khwab Hai” opposite Abhishek Bachchan. Even this movie couldn’t do well at the box office. In Meghna Gulzar’s first film as a director “Filhaal”, Sushmita Sen did a very sentimental and realistic role of Sia. The role of Sia was that of a modern and independent girl who lends her womb to conceive her friend’s child.
This woman oriented, unconventional role won her rave reviews from critics. In 2003, she won the Zee Cine Popular Award Best Actress in a Supporting Role for same film. She performed in songs like Mehboob Mere (Fiza) and Dilbar Dilbar (Sirf Tum) which became very popular. Until today, Main Hoon Na remains the biggest hit of Sushmita Sen, in which she starred opposite Shah Rukh Khan.
- Filmfare Awards – Best Supporting Actress for Biwi No.1, 2000
- Star Screen Awards – Best Supporting Actress for Biwi No.1, 2000
- IIFA Awards – IIFA Best Supporting Actress Award for Biwi No.1, 2000
- Zee Cine Award – Best Supporting Actress for Biwi No.1, 2000
- Zee Cine Award – Best Supporting Actress for Filhaal, 2003
- Rajiv Gandhi Award – Achievement in Bollywood, 2006
- Mother Teresa Awards – Social Justice, 2013
- Indian Affairs India Leadership Conclave – Eternal Beauty & Actress of the Decade, 2016
Some of her films include:
- Dastak, 1996
- Zor, 1997
- Biwi No.1, 1999
- Aaghaaz, 2000
- Kyo Kii… Main Jhuth Nahin Bolta. 2001
- Aankhen, 2002
- Samay: When Time Strikes, 2003
- Main Hoon Na, 2004
- Maine Pyaar Kyun Kiya?, 2005
- Zindaggi Rocks, 2006
- Ram Gopal Varma Ki Aag, 2007
- Karma Aur Holi, 2009
- No Problem, 2010
- Happy Anniversary (Upcoming)
- Jodi emon hoto (Upcoming)