Anil Kapoor Biography
Anil Kapoor is a well-known Indian actor who has been associated with Bollywood for more than 40 years and also did international films and television series. He has also been a producer since 2005.
He was born in Chembur, a suburb of Mumbai on 24 December, 1959. Born in the family of film makers, Anil acquired a graduate degree from the Film and T.V Institute of India (FTII) in Pune. Both his father Surinder Kapoor and brother Boney Kapoor had been film producers. His younger brother is also a Bollywood actor and sister-in-law Sridevi has been a Bollywood star during the 1980s and 1990s. He is married to Sunita Kapoor and the couple has three children.
He started his film career in 1979 with few minor roles in movies like Hamare Tumhare (1979), Hum Paanch (1980) and Shakti (1982). Woh Saat Din was his first leading role in Hindi films where his performance was highly acclaimed. Anil won his first Filmfare Award for the best supporting role in the film Mashaal with the legendary Bollywood actor Dilip Kumar. His huge box office hit was Mr. India opposite Sridevi and Amrish Puri in 1987.
In Mr. India, Anil Kapoor played the role of a music teacher looking after orphan children; a scientific discovery of his father empowered him with a gadget which could turn a person invisible. Mr. India was followed by a series of hit movies opposite Madhuri Dixit like Tezaab, Ram Lakhan and Parinda. In 1992, his role in Beta earned him his second Filmfare Award for the Best Actor.
After a few flops, he returned with hits like Virasat and Judai. Virasat won him the Critics Award for Best Performance in the year 1998. Anil Kapoor won his first National Award in Best Actor category with the film Pukar (2000). In this film he played the role of a patriotic Major who became a victim of political conspiracy. Some of the hits are No Entry, Salaam-e-Ishq, race, Slumdog Millionaire, Race 2 and Shootout at Wadala. He has also worked in Hollywood movies like Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol and Power. He also starred in the American television series 24, in its eighth season.
Anil Kapoor also starred in regional films like Vamsa Vriksham (Telugu) and Pallavi Anupallavi (Kannad).
A Few of the memorable films of Anil Kapoor
Some of the Awards Anil Kapoor has received till date
- Filmfare Best Supporting Actor Award in 1985
- Filmfare Critics Award for Best Actor in 1998
- IIFA Best Comedian Award in 2000
- National Film Award for Best Actor in 2001
- Zee Cine Award for Best Film (Critics) for Gandhi, My Father in 2008
- Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture in 2009
- Outstanding Achievement by an Indian Internationally in 2010
- Filmfare Best Supporting Actor Award in 2016
- “Nata Kalaratna” by Government of Andhra Pradesh in 1997
- Awadh Samman by Government of Uttar Pradesh in 2002
- Selected to be one of the jury members by Tony Blair’s foundation[ in 2010
- Awarded with Lalitha Kala Samrat title by Government of Andhra Pradesh in 2011
- Excellence in World Cinema Award by Indian Film Festival of Melbourne in 2015
Facts about Anil Kapoor
|Full Name||Anil Kapoor|
|Date of Birth||24 December, 1959|
|Height||5′ 11″ (180 cm)|
|Birth Place||Chembur Mumbai, Maharashtra, India|
|Father’s Name||Surinder Kapoor (Father)|
|Mother’s name||Nirmal (Mother)|
|Marital Status||Sunita Kapoor (1984-present)|
|Residence||Sea Cliff, 1st Floor, Gandhigram Road, Juhu, Mumbai- 400 049|
|Education||Completed schooling from Our Lady of Perpetual Succour High School and graduated from St. Xavier’s College|
|Debut Film||Hamare Tumhare (1979)|
|Family Members||Sunita Kapoor (Wife)
Sonam Kapoor and Rhea Kapoor, Harshvardhan Kapoor (Children)
Surinder Kapoor (Father)
Boney Kapoor and Sanjay Kapoor (Brother)