Kumar Mangalam Birla Biography
Kumar Mangalam Birla, the Chairman of The Aditya Birla Group, is one of the most successful businessmen of India. The Aditya Birla Group comprises of 16 companies and joint ventures in India and 22 international companies, mostly in South-east Asia. He is also the Director of the Group’s international companies in Thailand, Indonesia, Philippines and Egypt.
The Company operates globally in countries like Canada, China, Laos, USA, U.K, Germany, Hungary and Australia. In addition to this, he is a Board member of the G.D.Birla Medical Research & Education Foundation, a Board member of Governors of the Birla Institute of Technology & Science (BITS), Pilani and a Member of the London Business School’s Asia Pacific Advisory Board. He is also an “Honorary Fellow” of the London Business School (LBS).
Kumar Mangalam Birla was born on June 14, 1967. He was brought up in Kolkata
and Mumbai. He studied Chartered Accountancy and later accomplished his MBA(Masters in Business Administration) degree from the London Business School. He got married to Neerja and is the father of three children, Ananyashree, Aryaman Vikram and Advaitesha.
Kumar Mangalam Birla has been associated with and still retains many important positions on various bureaucratic and professional Boards of India, namely:
- Director of the Central Board of Directors of the Reserve Bank of India (from 27 June 2006)
- Chairman of the Staff Sub-Committee of the Central Board of the Reserve Bank of India
- Chairman of the Advisory Committee formed by the Ministry of Company Affairs (for 2006 and 2007)
- Member of the Prime Minister of India’s Advisory Council on Trade and Industry
- Chairman of the Board of Trade
- Member of the Government of Uttar Pradesh’s High Powered Investment Task Force
- Member of the National Council of the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII)
- Member of the Organising Committee for Commonwealth Games, Delhi 2010
For eleven years he has been nurturing the Aditya Birla Group, for his entrepreneurship and leadership qualities he has received many awards and accolades including:
- Lakshmipat Singhania – IIM, Lucknow National Leadership Award – 2006
- “The Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the Year -India” (2005)
- “Young Super Performer in the CEO Category” by Business Today(2005)
- Udyog Ratna by Chamber of Commerce and Industry(2005)
- D.Litt (Honoris Causa) degree by Banaras Hindu University .